The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I did real burpees!!!!!!

OH MY GOODNESS, today has been an AMAZING day!!!

First, God answered the prayers of many for one of my best friends of 23 years.  Then, we got good reports from Daddy's doctor that he has not had any additional mini-strokes, today was my Friday at work, and then I went to work out.

Now, for those of you who don't do CrossFit, this should give you an idea how it feels to do a CrossFit Workout:


I'm pretty sure I typically resemble the guy in the yellow tank and the guy laying in the ground struggling to breathe.  If you ever wonder about the exercises that I reference in my blog, you can always watch videos to show you what these exercises are supposed to look like.  You can find those videos here to help understand the things that I post.  

So, tonight's WODs were kinda crazy, but totally awesome for the fact that while I worked it out at a snail's pace, every one of the 3 WODs had exercises that intimidated the hell out of me and that are WAY outside of my comfort zone.  

The first WOD I did was 7 minute AMRAP (as many rounds/reps as possible)
run 200 meters
7 T2B (toes to bar) I just did pull my knees as far up to my chest as possible 
5 inverted burpees  Fat chance, I did an air squat and a bronco kick
**I completed 1 full round of this plus another 200, & another 7 knee lifts 

WOD #2, again a 7 minute AMRAP
10 bent over rows
10 burpees over bar (do a burpee and jump over the bar)
Tonight was the first night I did real burpees.  No 12" box under my hands, I actually went all the way to the floor and got up.  I looked more like I was 87 than 37, but I did it.  I only completed 2 full rounds of this WOD, but with as slow as I was getting up and down, I'm ok with that.

WOD#3: another 7 minute AMRAP
10 box jumps (I used a 12" box)
10 air squats
20 ab-mat situps
I completed 2 full rounds of this one in 7 minutes as well.  I actually did all the box jumps too, no step-up step-down like I used to have to do.  The box jump is mentally intimidating for most people.  If you don't have your mind right, you WILL fall, which has always been my biggest fear.  

My numbers for each WOD were far lower than most everyone else at the box today.  The fact of the matter is, I don't give a shit.  This is a process.  Sometimes I will be proud of the numbers and the times.  Sometimes I will NOT be proud of the time, but I will be proud of the accomplishments I made.  And sometimes, just showing up is good enough, because that is out of my comfort zone.  The face it, it is a process, and one that I am becoming more and more proud of on a daily basis.  It's going to take me a year or so to get where I want to be weight-wise.  It will be so sweet to get there, and will be worth every time I couldn't finish a work out, every time I was able to complete a new exercise.  Each little success is another brick in my wall of success.  I'll get there quickly enough, in the just right amount of time.  

Until next time....

Princess Biscuit


4 comments:

  1. You know, I haven't been reading your blog for very long, and I gotta say - you're a real inspiration, do you know that?

    I love the energy and positivity and REAL that you bring to your posts.

    As a girl that is +100 lbs overweight and wanting to do crossfit, you've inspired me to try it.

    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do, Ginger Tea. Every single exercise can be modified or scaled to your current ability and fitness level. Find a good box in your area, and talk to them about your concerns. Do you by chance live in the Raleigh Durham area?

      Delete
    2. Oh, and Ginger TEa--I don't feel like an inspiration, but I'm getting told that more and more. My original intent of the blog was to hold myself accountable. Now I am on a mission to convince anyone that reads it that they can do anything they put their minds to.

      Delete
  2. I'm in Vancouver, BC Canada, actually :)

    there are a several CF options around me, so I'll be investigating a good one that will work with me and support me.

    Thanks again (and congratulations on the burpees! that's rad!)

    ReplyDelete