The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Breathe in.....Breathe out......

Okay, so you may or may not remember that this spring I posted this saying that I would be running the Battleship Half Marathon in Wilmington, NC.  Things have gone a little crazy since thing, I've waxed and waned on whether I would actually run this weekend or not.  I've been doing a lot of cross-fitting, and some running (though admittedly, not as much as I would like).  Well, as of yesterday, our trip to Ohio to take my dad up to spend some time with his mom got cancelled thanks to "Frankenstorm Sandy" so I'm going to go to the race on Sunday.  I know I won't break any land-speed records or anything, but this will give me a good idea also of how far I have to go on February 24, and how far my training has to improve me before February 24.  The time limit for this race is 4 hours, and I can saunter a mile without trying in about 17 minutes.  I'm also going to dedicate this run to two women who are fellow runners who have recently passed on.  Amy Wayne was the running buddy of one of my online friends who was tragically hit and killed by a car this past week.  She was only 27 years old, was following all of the traffic laws and doing what she should have been, but she was still killed.  Kristen is a close friend of another of my online Running Mom friends who just succumbed to cancer yesterday.  I run in their memory, and pray for their friends and family at this very difficult time. 

Now--Last night's workout, yes, I went, even though my left arm didn't really feel up to it.  I went because even though I knew it would be uncomfortable, its time that you are uncomfortable that you have the most opportunity for growth.  This is when you find your limitations and figure out if they are really limits or if you can do more.  I did have to modify my pull-ups to ring-rows to take some of the pressure of my left arm. 

We did Tillman, in honor of Pat Tillman.  Clearly, with my arm hurting, I didn't even attempt the dead lifts at RX, so I just did 75#, our RX run was 100 meters, and for the pull-ups I did standing ring rows.  You were to do 7 rounds for time and we did a 30 second rest between each round, instead of 45 seconds.  My goal was to finish in under 20 minutes, and I finished in 20:06.  The really difficult part was the run for me, because with it being about 48* and my asthmatic lungs not liking cold air, I was running with my sweater over my face to keep my lungs from hurting so badly.  It was also drizzling a bit of rain which wasn't any fun either.  It was a rough work out, but one definitely worth doing!  As weird as it sounds, my left arm felt better afterwards.


1 comment:

  1. I have been following your blogs and wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to complete the Princess 1/2. I know how disappointed you were last year. I would be concerned that "up and doing" a 1/2 could set back your training for the Princess - both physically and emotionally. I have sucessfully completed a 1/2 after many many months of training (like you are doing). I'm certain I COULD do the City of Oaks this weekend, but according to my training schedule it is a taper week for me. So I WON'T do it so that I don't adversely affect my performance in the OBX 1/2 on 11/11. I recommend sticking to your training schedule for the Princess because that is your ultimate goal. IMHO."

    ReplyDelete