The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Friday, September 7, 2012

And then I cried....

I cried on the way home tonight.  I just couldn't hold it back anymore.  I've been close during and after workouts in the last few weeks, but today, I couldn't control it at all.  Why?  Why did I cry?  Because I cannot believe how blessed I am to work out in a place that doesn't judge me for my current physical condition and the limitations that my obesity puts on me, but instead, they encourage me to continue the work I am doing.  I have no idea how many people were around me, talking to me, and encouraging me to finish today's workout.  First, I will say that today, required modification.

Today's WOD:
10 box jumps (I did 12" rx was 20")
10 bent-over rows (I did 45#, rx was 65#)
20 ab-mat sit ups
10x3 mountain climbers x hand-release push-ups (I did the girlie push-ups)
15 Kettle bell swings (I started with the 26# Kettle bell, but only made it through a few, and had to go down to the orange one, which I think is 13#, not sure)
10 pull-ups (I clearly can't do these, so I use a knee-strap and have to jump, and still can't get my chin all the way up to the bar).

We had to complete 4 rounds in under 30 minutes.  After the first 2 rounds, I thought I was going to make it in time, but after round 3, I didn't think I would.  After 3 rounds, I had less than 7 minutes to complete the last round, and I just didn't think it could happen.  It was then that I was surrounded by folks that were encouraging me, counting for me, telling me "you've got this!!!"  I couldn't ask for a better group of people to work out with.  I would NEVER have expected for a community of fit people to be so understanding, supportive and encouraging.  I have never felt judged at the box.  I have never felt embarrassed by anything except my own insecurities.

In my not so humble, but very outspoken and honest opinion, I have to say that I think Cross Fit is the best option for someone like myself who is confused or scared when it comes to working out.   The awesome thing about CrossFit is that you don't have to figure out what to do each day.  They tell you want to do.  They tell you how to do it so you don't get hurt.  They tell you how much weight they recommend you do.  They encourage you to find your own limits and push yourself past them.  CrossFit is a fitness idiot's dream (take my word for it, I promise).  YOu will not find a better place to discover what you are capable of than at CrossFit.  Find a box near you.  Call and ask questions.  Go try it out.

I will say that we were told at "foundations" that there are typically 2 responses to CrossFit, overwhelmed, and empowered.  I have never felt confident, empowered, or proud of myself, but after about 6 weeks at CrossFit Apex I feel more powerful and proud than I ever have in my life.  I encourage you to find a box near you and try CrossFit out!  If you are in the Raleigh/Durham area, I highly recommend CrossFit Apex.  This is a family of amazing people who care and will support you.  There are not enough superlatives in my vocabulary to describe how I feel about this place!!  Thank you, Andrea, Pete, Mike and all of the CrossFit Apex family for being AMAZING!!!

Biscuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment