The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Hey Barbara....I want a rematch!



I went last night to do my CrossFit WOD, knowing I was way behind on my nutrition for the day, but I NEEDED the workout, both physically and mentally. I had heard that Barbara was on deck, so I went and looked it up online and saw that Barbara is 20 pull-ups, 30 push ups, 40 sit-ups and 50 air squats. I thought, "Well, that's gonna be tough but I think I can handle it". I was talking to one of my 5:30 buddies, who has been doing doubles the last few weeks and she said, "It's 5 rounds" and I felt my heart drop. Then I decided it would be fine, and I was going to go and introduce myself to Barbara.


Well, I did just that. I went, I got warmed up, I set up my station, and When the clock hit 0, I started.


20 pull-ups (I still used the red band)

30 push-ups (the girlie kind)

40 sit-ups

50 air squats


Round 1 completed in 6:33. Round 2 completed in 7 minutes. Round 3 completed in 8 minutes.


Round 4 I did my pull-ups, I did my push-ups but I could feel myself getting far weaker with each one. I got in position to do my sit-ups. I laid there for a second to catch my breath, and I felt myself shaking, internally, all over. I felt like my heart was gonna burst through my chest wall at any second. I did 1 sit-up and felt and saw my world caving in. I had tunnel vision and everything in the periphery was white. I laid myself right back down on the floor to let it pass.


Now, there are some lessons to be learned here:

1--DO NOT do Barbara without a healthy day of eating. I had missed breakfast due to appointments, so All I had had was a cup of coffee, a slice of banana bread, about 15 french fries, and 72 oz of water....the last I had eaten was at about 2:30 and that was the 15 french fries.


2--Many have asked, “Why are the workouts named after Girls?” Coach Glassman, the founder and President of CrossFit explained it best. “I want to explain the workout once and then give it a name. I thought that anything that left you flat on your back, looking up at the sky asking ‘what just happened to me?’ deserved a females name. Workouts are just like storms, they wreak havoc on towns.” Mission Accomplished! As such, I will point out that it is INCREDIBLY embarrassing to have 2 gentlemen from the next WOD have to come help you up off the floor and over to the couch in the office.


3--If you have ever been left laying in the floor of the box, sweating, crying, shaking and feeling like you are on the verge of passing out, there is absolutely NO doubt you gave the workout everything you had in the tank.


4--I LOVE to be challenged, and can't wait for my rematch with Barbara. She's a witch, but one I look forward to meeting again soon!


After about 45 minutes getting my breath, cooling off and getting warmed up. I had overheated, and had also hadn't had enough to eat to fuel my body. Not going to be able to let that happen again.


Till next time...


Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment