The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Heart exercise, doing what's right.

Today I am still recovering from the scary news that we got on Friday about my dad's health and what the future likely holds for us.  Sometimes when I get that freaked out, the best thing I can do is do something to take my mind off of my reality.

Some of you may remember that a little over a week ago I asked my Facebook friends to pray for my friends Cassie and Kendra as they had just lost their mom to Cancer on December 12, and on the 26th, her dad suffered a heart attack.  He was in a coma, and never regained consciousness.  Mr. Ford passed away on December 30th.  I can't begin to comprehend what the two of them must be feeling and going through at this difficult time.

Well, Cassie lives about 20-25 minutes from my house.  Cassie has made 3 trips to Ohio since thanksgiving to see her parents, and then attend their funerals.  She attended BOTH her parents funerals in less than 3 weeks.  Can you imagine?  I absolutely can't.

Cassie's kids got a trampoline for Christmas, which hadn't been put together.  And Cassie had spent so much time traveling, packing, and unpacking, that the little things fall through the cracks.  My mom and I talked about how much we HATE coming home from a trip, knowing that we have to clean house, and face a mess.  So, after breaking into Cassie's house with her permission (they don't have a spare key hidden) not only did my dad, husband and Brother-in-law put together the trampoline the kids got from their deceased grandparents for Christmas, me, my mom and my sister spent a couple of hours cleaning, doing dishes, vacuuming, doing some laundry and made some lasagna so that when Cassie and Ben got home today, they could take the day and relax with their kids, enjoy the time as a family and playing on the new trampoline.  This is what my family does.  We see where there is a need, and we try to do as much as possible to help that family in their time of need.  It was such a good feeling to spend the day helping someone who needs it, but would never ask for the help.  We have adopted Cassie and her family, and we love them so.  My heart was so happy when we got home, knowing we had done something that would make someone else's life a bit easier/better.  We don't do stuff like this to get thanks, we do it to help when it's needed.

In the past we have bought Christmas presents for families, delivered meals, bought school clothes, helped folks move, assemble furniture, you name it.  It is so invigorating to help people.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment