The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Saturday, March 2, 2013

And the doctor said.....

I went to the doctor yesterday, he redid the x-ray on my foot and ankle and confirmed that there is no fracture.  He suggested that the pain I am having appears to be consistent with tendonitis and is something that is basically an overuse injury.  He recommended taking an additional week-and-a-half off.  He also recommended running every other day, and cross-training on the other days.  He said that if it is painful, Ice and Ibuprofen are excellent options.

I also went online yesterday and found that there are KT tape applications for what I have going on, so when I do start running again, I will be using those to see if they help to minimize my symptoms.

I will be starting Couch-2-5k plan on March 11th and working toward the Quay 5k in June.  I won't run more than 3 miles between now and then, and I am hoping that my hard work will pay off with a 5k time under 40 minutes.  After that I'm going to start doing additional training, speed training, and longer runs, in the hopes of doing the Diva Half Marathon in DC in September.  If and only if I finish the Diva Half in under 3:30 will I consider attempting the Princess Half Marathon again.  I want to have no doubt in my mind that I can and HAVE completed a half marathon in under 3:30.  I will then continue to train to improve for a Half Marathon on Valentine's day in Myrtle Beach.  I would love to have it under 3 hours.

Krista

1 comment:

  1. Krista, I've been following you for the last year and I want to congratulate you on all the hard work you've done so far. Progress always includes a setback or two, and it's how we overcome the setbacks that can be the true measure of our actual progress.

    I've dealt with my own bout of tendonitis, and it's no joke. I found that physio and area specific exercises were a big help in my ongoing recovery.

    Good luck in your continued training. You've inspired a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete