The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Sunday, December 15, 2013

I am a triathlete!!

About a month ago I found out that the gym I am a member of was going to be doing an indoor triathlon.  I wanted to do it, and thought that just maybe I would sign up, but I wasn't sure....Then I found out that every dime raised went to local families who needed financial assistance at Christmas...Now I knew I would do it.  Why not challenge myself and do something I've wanted to for a while, and have the funds go to a needy family?

So I was a little freaked out about what I would wear and how that would go...I was VERY anxious as I filled out the registration form.  I have also been very sick this week, with sinus infection that worked its way into bronchitis, as is normal for me and my asthmatic lungs.  I was afraid I might have to walk the swim part in the pool....but I figured it was for a good cause, so who really cared.

So I got up this morning and got a quick shower, gathered up everything I needed (or so I thought) and headed out.  Barney called me as I backed out of the driveway to see if I needed my goggles, which I did, so I came back to get them...headed back out again.  I got to the gym, and set up my stuff in "transition"...though I was clueless...which became more and more apparent as time progressed.

One last trip to the bathroom and I got myself a nasty little surprise.  Now--I know one of the reasons I chose to have weight loss surgery was to take my life and health back.  Apparently, that health included my re-productive health, because well, let's just say that mother nature stopped by for a visit without warning, This typically doesn't happen without medication for me, so I was completely unprepared....took care of that, and we were lining up for the swim start.

There was 1 guy behind me in heat 1, who I assured I would be slow and he would have to pass me.  He did, in the first 25 meters.  I figured out very quickly that when you don't practice something, you lose your ability.  I used to be a pretty decent swimmer, but I think I drank half the lane on my first 50 meters, so I switched from the freestyle to the breast stroke.  Now that I was breast stroking (obviously incorrectly) and didn't need my goggles, I threw those on the pool deck at 100 meters.  At about 125 meters, I switched over to the backstroke and used that for the last 75 meters.  Out of the pool and into transition.  I was a bit light-headed and dizzy getting out of the pool and was a bit scared I would pass out.

Now, transition is apparently a game of chess against ones self.  I now know why folks wear a tri suit, and change NO clothes in the process.  I got to transition, dried myself off a bit, threw on my socks and tied my shoes.  I had put my shirt on my bike, and swam with my tankini top and sports bra.  In transition I took of the tankini top with the plan of putting my tank top on while I rode, the part I hadn't considered, was my sports bra and body being wet, and the difficulty putting on an exercise tank top with a built-in sports bra.  I spent the majority of the bike leg in bike shorts and a sports bra.  (I would like to apologize to anyone who had to witness that little debacle.  I don't like myself in that state of undress standing up straight and sucking in my gut, lord knows it wasn't pretty on a bike!!)  I realized about half way through the bike leg that I was on pace for a 44 minute bike ride to complete 15k.  I had done the 15k in a spin class in 38 minutes, and was REALLY hoping to be close to that time today, even though the first time I did it, I hadn't swam beforehand.  I saw person after person leaving the bikes and after a while, I was the only one left, my brain started the same old tricks on me trying to tell me I should give up, I was embarrassing myself, I should quit and sneak out the back door.  Thankfully no one was around to her me say, out loud, to myself, "Shut the FUCK up!"  So, somewhere during the bike, I got my buddy Michelle to come over and help me pull my shirt on so I wasn't riding w/o a shirt anymore.  She did, thankfully.  Finally finished my bike leg, and had to go across the gym floor and up the stairs to the treadmill.

When I got off the bike, I couldn't feel my feet or my legs.  I could see myself moving across the floor, but couldn't feel anything.  I was so out of sorts, I decided I would just put the treadmill on speed 3.0 and walk my 2 miles.  I'm guessing  I must have looked pretty rough, because one of the volunteers came to ask me if I was ok.  I told her I was light headed so she brought me a cup of OJ and a banana.  a few sips of OJ (I was wearing more than I swallowed), and 1 bite of banana and I thought I was going to have a puking episode.  I left both alone for the remainder of the run, and just drank my water.  Pretty soon I settled into a rhythm, got into a "zone" and decided to do some intervals.  from then on, my pace on the treadmill varied between 3.5 and 4.5 mph.  I was pushing myself pretty hard, but I fully intended to kick it up even a bit more at the end.  I got a side stitch on my right, then on my left.  I kept going.  People were coming by and talking to me, offering help, and encouragement.  I feel badly now that I didn't respond with much more than a nod or a thumbs up.  I couldn't talk.  I jogged a bit here and there, and at 1.93 miles, I pushed the treadmill up to 5.3mph and I ran.  I didn't job, I ran.  my big tail wanted to be done, and that was what it was going to take.  I finished my 2.0, hopped off the treadmill and ran to the finish line.  I walked a few laps on the indoor track to get my head back, and keep from passing out.

When I came across the finish line, she said something like "1:32:05".  I won't have my official time until tomorrow, but honestly that just doesn't really matter to me.  I finished a sprint triathlon.  I LOVED it!  I need to work on my swimming, overall cardio, and get my boo-tay used to the saddle if I'm going to do many more of these, which I think I just might.  It was a lot of fun, and more of an overall workout than my running attempts have been.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to be running and training.  I have a goal that I set last summer, that I would do the Raleigh Half IronMan sometime.  Well, I think that the year I turn 40 would be a stellar time to make that pipe dream a reality.  I have a long way and a lot of training to do in the next year to make that possible.  1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride and a 13.1 mile run.  I will get there...I will work for it.

Thanks to Beverly Moore, Dene Alameida, Summer Collins, Fonshee Ames and Michelle Hodge for convincing me to try this, and that I could do it.  It was fun.  When's the next one?!?!

1 comment: