The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Focus

I'm now nearly 3 months out from weight loss surgery (vertical sleeve gastrectomy) and have started to catch myself falling back into old patterns.  I'm driving through for coffee (a waste of money because I have yet to drink an entire coffee that I bought), eating fast food type lunches, etc.  Now that my body will allow me to eat that shit, I'm starting to do it again.  BAD IDEA!!

I am still losing weight, and this morning weighed in at 223.8 (a loss of exactly 45 pounds from when I started the process to have surgery), which is nothing to shake a stick at in 3 months.  The problem is, my average weight loss is down to under 2 pounds a week.

I have noticed that I don't feel quite as good, don't have as much energy, or want to do as much and I'm certain this is a direct result of not tracking my protein and water intake. So---it's time to regain my focus, and work on tracking these things, getting them in, and making excellent food choices, rather than some of the crappy ones I have made lately.

I still have some difficulty eating some of the foods that are the best way to get my protein in in a day, like eggs, chicken and fish.  Because I am struggling with this, I have decided that I will be drinking a protein shake for breakfast each morning (it's better for me than coffee), and eat a protein bar for an afternoon snack.  those 2 choices alone will get me 60 oz of protein each day, or more depending on what I add to my protein shake.

I'm also going to be doing some experimenting with things to eat for lunch while I'm off work the next 10 days or so.  I'm going to see if I can handle egg salad (a pre-surgery favorite of mine) and tuna salad (plain tuna is way too dry and doesn't sit well).  Both of these will increase my daily protein intake as well.  I've also read about folks doing "turkey wraps" with a piece of green leaf lettuce, a slice of turkey, and a slice of cheese, also lots of protein.  These next 10 days are going to be all about experimenting with foods I love to see if I can handle them, and preparation to return to work.

I got enough protein shakes and protein bars for 36 days which will take me to Sunday, January 26, 2014.  If all goes as planned, I'm hoping that by that time, I will be down to 200 pounds.  Barney and I are going to start training for the Myrtle Beach Half Marathon which is being held on Saturday, February 15, and we are running it together.  It'll be his first 1/2 marathon, my 3rd attempt and first finish.  I am so glad that I will have my love by my side as I do this.  He has been such a huge help for me in this journey to a healthier me, and it is only fitting that we do this together, I guess.

I'm still going to check in on December 30 with my 3 month weigh in and pictures.  And fully intend to keep everyone posted along the way.

Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment