The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Saturday, October 19, 2013

The dreaded 3rd week....

Last Friday, I went to the doctor for my 2 week check-up and was please to hear that according to their scales, I have lost 23 pounds.  I was also ecstatic to learn I could start eating "mushy foods".  I never thought I would be so happy to hear the words "mushy foods"

This week I have been allowed to add things like refried beans, yogurt, cottage cheese, and pureed foods to my diet.  It has been so nice to eat something that wasn't sweet.  Now I will say, I have NEVER been a fan of any beans other than green beans, with a specific hatred of refried beans....not so much now.  In fact, here in about 30 minutes, I'm going to be making some Huevos Rancheros for lunch.  Not only is the protein what I need more of in my diet, but having a bit of cheese, and beans, things that aren't sweet, just makes me HAPPY.

Starting this coming Monday I will be allowed to start adding some moist flaky fish, tuna, (chicken is the last thing to get re-added), I'm allowed cream of wheat, oatmeal, etc.  I will continue the "fork tender" or "soft foods" diet for the next 4 weeks.  I will be allowed "regular food" beginning on November 18.  At this point, I will be eating approximately 1/4 of food at a time.  The first 1/4 cup I eat will be my protein for each meal, and then if I am still hungry/want more after that is down, I'm allowed to add things like cooked vegetables.

That part of the 3rd week that is dreaded though is the inevitable stall in weight loss.  I have been in a few weight loss groups on f\Facebook for a while, and it never fails that a couple of times each week, someone would come into one of those groups and ask if it was normal to not lose any weight, and state that they were only 3 weeks out of surgery, and how could that be possible with as little as they were eating.  I knew it was coming, though I would be lying if I said I didn't hope that I would be the exception to this rather obnoxious rule of weight loss surgery.  But alas, I was not the exception, and have been sitting at 245 pounds for a week now.  I know I am losing inches, because my clothes are fitting VERY differently, and let's be honest, I can't remember the last time I lost 23 pounds in 1 month.  I'm so ready for the scale to start moving down again....but until then, I'll stay on track and keep doing what I'm doing.  If there's one thing I know for sure, it's that cheating, or going off the program prescribed by my doctor isn't going to do anything but jeopardize my health and long-term success.

I'm so excited to head back to CrossFit this week, and I just can't wait.  I'm not allowed to lift more than 15-20 pounds for a couple more weeks, but I can do body-weight exercises, and still engage the muscles I haven't been using here for a while.  I'm going to start with 2 days a week and build up to 3 days a week.  This week also starts the training for the Princess Half Marathon weekend Glass Slipper Challenge, so I will be walking/running 3 days a week.

I am so excited about what the future holds for me, and what it is going to look like.  I can't wait to realize the life I've always wanted.

Krista

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your continued progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you, already at Crossfit! That's great news that you'll still be able to do your Glass Slipper Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't make it to CrossFit tonight. Still having some issues with dehydration and difficulty getting enough liquids in, so I need to get that corrected before I go sweating my tail off at CrossFit.

      Delete
  3. One of the things that helps me get my protein in is mixing some protein powder (I use vanilla flavored) into my oatmeal in the AM. Not sure if you had thought of that, but wanted to pass the tip along!

    ReplyDelete