The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Thursday, August 29, 2013

I just DON'T get it!

You know, I am at time left confused and wondering how things have come to be the way they are in this big wide world. and the reality it there is no good answer.  I hear judgment all the time, be it about someone being fat, skinny, gay, Christian or Muslim, Republican or Democrat, choose the topic, and there is inevitable judgment from the people who don't fit the particular label or stereo type addressed.  I am not immune from this judgment, and have participated in a great deal of it myself, which I am ashamed to admit, but refuse to lie about it.

What I keep coming back to is that regardless of the circumstance, judgment hurts someone.  We have all made decisions on a daily basis, and all of us have loved ones that make decisions that we may or may not agree with.  I have friends and family that don't subscribe to my political beliefs, my religious beliefs, and how I parent.  Guess what, that is their right.

We don't all have to agree, but what I do believe is that with varying opinions, if you want for someone to respect your beliefs and opinions you need to be willing to respect their beliefs and opinions.  Re-read that last statement, I didn't say Like, or accept, I said "respect".  There is a HUGE difference.  I don't necessarily like the parenting decisions all of my friends make, but I respect the fact that they are parents and are doing what they feel and believe is right for their family.  Respect goes a long way with family members, friends, and acquaintances, and lack of respect is just hurtful.

Each person needs to live their lives and do the things that are best for them, and what they believe to be right.  It is NOT a personal affront to you just because your opinion may oppose mine.  I don't understand this theory that a differing opinion entitles someone to state that opinion as loudly, and as as often as they choose until the person with the differing opinion comes around to your way of thinking and now shares your perspective.

Respect goes a LONG way folks, and remember, if you want to get it, you typically have to give it.  Respect is a 2-way street.

Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment