The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Strong Mamas rock...and I am one!!

Tonight's workout was awesome and self-affirming in a way I didn't know possible for me.

Our warm-up:
7 tuck jumps
7 spider man push-ups
7 bronco kicks

WOD #1: for time
12-9-6-3
Dead lifts (155# RX for women)
Get-up burpees

I got through the 12's and 9's, but I was done.  I actually tried to RX this one since dead lifts are the lift I am most comfortable with, which ended up being a bad idea.  I haven't had lower back pain in a LONG time during a WOD, but it showed back up tonight, and with a serious vengeance.  Now, in the past few times where I have not been able to finish a WOD, I have left the box embarrassed and in tears.  When I couldn't finish the 6 and the 3, I wasn't embarrassed AT ALL!  I knew I put a lot of weight on the bar, and I knew it was better to step away than to hurt myself.  I didn't storm out or cry, I just waited until.....

WOD #2:
Every Minute On the Minute, unbroken, complete the following:
Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Push Press

Whatever time was left until the next minute mark was a rest.  I had 65# on the bar due to the Clean and how sore my back already was.  I seriously considered quitting a number of times.  and at minute 5 the idea got really tempting, but then I realized, once I finished the 5 minute round, I only had the 4, 3, 2 & 1 left, why quit?  I had finished 11, it wasn't that I wasn't capable of finishing, it was that I was sore and tired.  This wasn't a matter of self-preservation, this was a matter of perseverance.  This was a matter of giving up or finishing.  This was a matter of pride, and I refused to give up.  I finished, and did it hurt?  Sure it did, but was it worth it?  AB-SO-FREAKING-LUTELY!!!

Now, we usually do our strength or skill between the warm-up and the WOD, but tonight, we did it after the WODs.  Now, considering that my back was sore and screaming at me, the idea of not doing the skill was certainly tempting.  But again, this wasn't a matter of self-preservation, it was a matter of intestinal fortitude.  This was a matter of whether or not I was going to sabotage myself and let the workout beat me.

Tonight's strength/skill was back squats...ugh, double ugh, and triple ugh!
So we were to do 5 rounds, 5, then 4, then 3,3,3.  We were to add weight after each round.  I started with the ladies, and we had 65# on the bar.  then went to 85, and it was too light.  The boys next to us had 135# on the bar, so I decided to jump in with them.  I did 3 at 135, then the last 2 rounds at 155.  The bar was racked so high I couldn't even get it down, so the boys had to lift it off the rack and put it on my shoulders, let me back squat it, then help me by putting it back up on the rack since it was too high.

After we finished, we were talking a bit, and there was a guy visiting our box, in from college.  He looked pretty buff, like he lifts regularly.  He said, "you outdid me.  I was thinking it was too light, but I was struggling."  Now, I don't often pat myself on the back, but by golly, an early 20 year old guy home from college, incredibly fit, and I out-lifted him.  Now, here I am, double my ideal body weight, knocking on 38 years old with 3 kids, and I out-lifted him!  It rocks being a strong chick...and I should know, because I am one!

No comments:

Post a Comment