The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Thursday, July 26, 2012

WOD #2, In honor of Corporal Ryan McGhee

Holy Sweat, Batman!

Cross Fit has some named WOD's called Hero WODs.  The WODs are named for fallen heros, and today's workout was called McGhee, in honor of Corporal Ryan McGhee.  You can read more about him here:  CrossFit WOD McGhee.  Corporal McGhee was killed in Iraq, at the age of 21, on May 13, 2009.

So, for my non-crossfitting friends, this WOD went like this:

Warm Up:
Foam Roller to stretch and help warm up all the muscles
25 meters out, jogging, 25 meters back, back-pedaling X 4 (I did it 2x)

WOD: 30 minutes, AMRAP (as many rounds/reps as possible)
5 Dead lifts (I lifted 50 pounds) in honor of the month of May--RX is 275 lbs.
13 push-ups (I did 5 girlie push ups) in honor of the 13th day of May
9 box jumps (I did 9 step-ups onto an old-school step from aerobics class) In honor of 2009--RX is a 24" box

Now, for those of you not familiar with CrossFit, or if you just happened upon the  link while checking out the home page for CrossFit Apex, every single WOD can be scaled back to fit your current fitness level.  There is no way on this Earth I could possible do McGhee as prescribed.  This WOD is no joke, and not to be taken lightly.  The nice thing is, the members of CrossFit Apex and the coaches are insanely supportive.  I have had multiple folks interrupt their workouts to encourage me, and support me.  Andrea encouraged me to do the AMRAP for 10 minutes so I didn't hurt myself.  I did 5 rounds in 10 minutes without stopping, then took a break because the nausea was setting in and I was about to lose it.  I got some water, took a break, and came back at 15 minutes, did 3 more rounds, until 22 minutes, took another break, then finished 2 more rounds after that.  I made it a total of 10 rounds in 30 minutes which would normally be nothing to write home about in my opinion, but then again, this was only my 2nd WOD and I'm doing these workouts at 2x my healthy weight, so I say, Mission accomplished!

If there is any thought in your head for a second that you might want to try out CrossFit, I absolutely encourage you to.  CrossFit is an awesome, empowering workout, and one that will let you know just what you are made of.

I listed in parenthesis above what I did for my workout to adjust McGhee to fit my current fitness level.  every work out can be adjusted.  I want to give a shout out to Jeff who took the time to talk to me tonight after the work-out.  As a person who has always been afraid that the people at the gym/workout are really thinking, "hey, wait a minute, who let the fat girl in here?"  It was awesome to chat with you tonight.  I appreciate your support and encouragement!

Till next time, which will be Saturday morning at 8:30....

No comments:

Post a Comment