The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

I feel liberated....

There is something liberating, and quite frankly, beautiful, about falling in love with yourself.  It would almost be funny if it weren't so sad that it took me nearly 44 years to get here.  I'm allowing my heart to guide me this year, and saying yes and no to things that I determine either do or don't fit into my future.

I started the body transformation challenge with high hopes of getting healthy, and as a bonus side effect, maybe dropping some of the extra pounds I've been carrying around, specifically the 38 I had regained from my lowest weight post weight loss surgery.

As with any goal, it is not a success only journey, but the question is, when faced with adversity, how do you handle it?  How do you respond?

Last week was difficult.  I hurt my knee during Tuesday's workout, nothing major just really inflamed since I have no cartilage in there, and can't take anti-inflammatory medications to help my body handle the swelling after that.  I was in pain, my knee was tight with swelling, so I wasn't able to work out the rest of the week.  I could barely walk, quite frankly.  So I did what I could, and stuck to the meal plan for the most-part, but then when I started to get down, I gave myself permission to fail....but only for a little while.  I knew I wasn't going to lose as much weight as week 1 (5.4 pounds), but I also knew I had no reason/excuse to GAIN weight.  So I did what I could.

One of the interesting side effects of eating whole foods instead of fast food and processed crap is that my body is processing foods the way it should be.  I hadn't made the connection before, and while this is TMI its part of my reality, so I thought I'd share.  I have been taking medication for 2-1/2 years to allow my intestines to process food probably and have some kind of output from my body other than urgent trips to the bathroom with loose bowels.  I haven't taken that medication, nor do I need it, for the last 2 weeks.  I feel good, my body is processing food the way it should, because I'm giving my body what it needs to do so.  I'm down to 1 pill per day which has to do with my clinical depression, and that will likely never go away!

So when I got on the scale last night, I wasn't totally shocked to see I had gained .6 pounds.  I would be lying if I said I was surprised, because how could I be?  I didn't work out and I didn't stick to the meal plan 100%.  My coaches are amazing and super supportive and informed me that week 2 of these type of lifestyle changes is often the hardest.  Rather than throwing in the towel because, "It obviously isn't going to work" I've doubled down and continued to pursue and chase the healthy lifestyle I know I need.  I have all my meals for the week planned and prepped but 1, and I'm pushing myself to do everything by the book.

As for workouts, last night I did my CrossFit workout at CrossFit Brave, then when I got home, I finished setting up my Peloton bike that got delivered yesterday and took it for a bit of a spin.  It was fabulous, and fun, and oh so hard!  It's a different kind of hard than CrossFit which is good.  I was sweating my butt off in the first 10 minutes, and had to convince myself to stay in the ride for the whole 30 minutes.  No CrossFit for me tonight, but I'm going to find this Dirty Dancing Peloton ride I keep hearing about and give it a whirl.

I've found that the longer I stay on this plan, the better I feel, the less I hurt, and people have actually approached me to tell me that I look good and I appear happy.  I hope that's a sign of how well I am adjusting to this new lifestyle.

I am NOT on a diet, I'm changing my life.  I'm hoping these changes lead to a bit more weightloss over the next 7-1/2 weeks until I board that cruise ship and I get on the boat around 185 pounds....As of yesterday, I was at 205.6, but I'll be back to my Saturday morning weigh in this Saturday.  Hopefully my cycling workouts on CrossFit off days will help me continue to see a smaller number on the scale.


No comments:

Post a Comment