The Incredible Shrinking Krista

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Today is THAT DAY!

I have struggled for years to see myself the way others see me.  This is not something that is easy for me.

I find myself questioning the legitimacy of compliments paid to me, I don't believe that those comments and/or compliments are without strings.

When I look in the mirror, I typically see nothing but a long list of flaws.  It usually goes something like this:

yes, but, I have these scars on my face (from 6 stitches), too many freckles, 3 chins, flabby arms, a horrendously large muffin top, loose/flabby thighs and cankles.

Today, after getting up from having my hair cut and colored. I stood up to look in the mirror, and I saw ME.  I didn't see the long list of flaws that I would typically run off without even a moment's thought.

I actually did a double-take because rather than listing off my flaws, I simply thought, "I love my hair".  I was actually completely dumbfounded by the reality of that and what it meant as far as where I was in my mental journey after my weight loss surgery.  For the first time in my life, I didn't look at my flaws, I just saw me, and I was happy with what I saw.

I shared this with one of my friends online who has been a huge inspiration to me, and she said that this is the first step to loving myself.  I've never felt that way, so this is a brand new experience for me, and one I look forward to furthering and learning more about.

Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment